Seth Perlman has been providing legal counsel to the philanthropic sector for more than thirty
years. He works with large public charities, private foundations, fundraising professionals, for-profit
businesses engaged in philanthropy, international NGOs and social enterprises.
Seth assists clients to optimize their ability to achieve mission by advising on matters relating to
organizational structure, governance, regulatory compliance and nonprofit commercial activities. He advises social entrepreneurs seeking to provide social benefit through non-traditional for profit organizational structures.
Seth has litigated in several state and federal jurisdictions on issues relevant to the philanthropic community. He is an outspoken advocate for the sector through his participation with nonprofit trade associations including the Association of Fundraising Professionals, the Association of Direct Response Fundraising Counsel, Independent Sector, and the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York. He is a founding board member of the Charity Defense Council in support of their mission “to change the way people think about changing the world”.
Seth is an advisor to C-level executives and the boards of a broad range of U.S. nonprofits. He sits on the
boards of philanthropic organizations in Canada, France, Germany, and the Netherlands.
General Counsel to nonprofit boards including strategic and legal consulting on
- Complex governance issues such as board oversight, decision-making power, and board member fiduciary duties
- Strategic planning focused on near-term and long-term challenges and opportunities
- Internal disputes and investigations
- Organizational sustainability including charitable giving and fundraising strategy, investment,, budget and risk management
- Strategic outside partnerships and vendor relations
Legal counsel relating to fundraising, revenue generation and charitable solicitation compliance for nonprofit organizations including
- Cause marketing campaigns
- Hybrid business structures
- Corporate alliances
- Joint ventures
- State and federal regulatory compliance
Litigation and dispute resolution on matters including
- Board disputes
- Action and investigations by state regulatory authorities
- Constitutional and regulatory issues affecting the nonprofit sector
- Vendor disputes
Professional & Nonprofit Affiliations
- Charity Defense Council, Founding Board Member
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, Direct Marketing Fundraisers Association, Special Counsel
- Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York, Government Affairs Committee
- American Bar Association – Exempt Organizations Committee, Member
- American Bar Association – Business Law Committee, Member
- NYC Bar
University of Houston, Bates College of Law, J.D.
Beloit College, B.S.