Lisa M. Brauner
Lisa Brauner’s practice focuses in the area of employment law, specifically advising and representing employers in workplace law-related matters. Lisa counsels and advises employers in many aspects of the employment relationship, including avoidance of litigation, wage/hour compliance, preventing unlawful discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, reductions-in-force, lawful hiring and terminations, disability, pregnancy and religious reasonable accommodation issues, as well as compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations. Lisa has extensive experience representing and defending employers in court, including successfully first-chairing both jury and bench trials, and responding to EEOC and other governmental agency charges and audits.
Lisa conducts HR/employment law compliance audits, including analysis of worker misclassification issues (exempt vs. nonexempt from overtime pay laws and independent contractor vs. employee).She also assists employers in developing and implementing systems and procedures to ensure compliance with employment laws.
Lisa has extensive experience preparing employment, severance, confidentiality, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, as well as employee handbooks and policies, and related documents.
Lisa conducts trainings on preventing unlawful discrimination and harassment and independent investigations of internal complaints of unlawful discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation.
- Obtained defense jury verdict for employer in race discrimination lawsuit.
- Successfully defended higher education institution in sex harassment and retaliatory discharge lawsuit.
- Successfully defended not-for-profit services provider in race, national origin discrimination, and retaliation lawsuit.
- Handled nationwide reduction-in-force of global media company.
- Successfully defended multi-plaintiff race discrimination action.
- Successfully represented real estate management company in precedent-setting case relating to arbitration of employment claims.
- Handled worker reclassification of global media and trend-reporting company.
Professional & Nonprofit Affiliations
American Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section, member
New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section/Dispute Resolution Section
New York City Bar Association member
Brooklyn Law School’s Alumni Mentor Program, Founder
Tufts University’s New York Women’s Networking Group, Founder
Brooklyn Law School, J.D.
Tufts University, B.A. cum laude
US District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts, New York; Dist. Ct., New Jersey