At the core of every nonprofit organization is its mission. It underscores who will be served, how services may be delivered, the social benefits it generates and the social outcomes it achieves. Fulfilling mission is essential to the organization’s success, and to attain that requires effective and sustainable management, and an understanding of the unique compliance obligations applicable to tax-exempt nonprofits.
Our goal is to assist nonprofit organizations to optimize their operations at whatever stage of its life-cycle, from start-up, through expansion and maturity, when establishing affliates, undertaking a merger, or winding down. Although compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations is key to success, we also counsel on best practices in governance, strategies for engaging in activities that generate revenue, development of diversified funding strategies, and helping boards to understand their fiduciary duties so they can provide meaningful oversight to their organizations.
- Bylaws and Governance
- Charity watchdog evaluations
- Executive Compensation
- Fiscal Sponsorship
- For-profit Subsidiaries/ Affiliations
- Hybrids and Joint Ventures
- IRS Audits
- Nonprofit Revenue-Generating Activities
- Nonprofit Formation
- Nonprofit Lobbying and Political Activities
- Private Benefit/Inurement
- Private Letter Rulings
- Property Tax Exemption
- Sales Tax Exemption
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT)
- Helped with the dissolution of a financially insolvent nonprofit and helped transfer all of its programs to other nonprofit organizations to ensure continuity of service for all the organization’s charitable beneficiaries.
- Advised a national anti-poverty organization in establishing a business enterprise to employ individuals participating in its rehabilitation program, providing employment and skills development while promoting the sale of locally sourced products in an economically distressed community
- Assisted several New York not-for-profit corporations in updating their bylaws and governance policies to comply with the recent enactment of the Nonprofit Revitalization Act
- Successfully resolved compliance and governance issues for a large government-funded New York City cultural facility that was facing government scrutiny, helping them expand their programs and merge successfully with a sister nonprofit organization