Tracy L. Boak
Tracy’s practice includes all aspects of nonprofit law. Her proficient knowledge in the regulation of charitable solicitation is rooted in her twelve years of service in the public sector, including as Director of the Pennsylvania Department of State’s Bureau of Charitable Organizations, the agency responsible for the administration and enforcement of the State’s charitable solicitation law. Tracy served on the board of the National Association of Attorneys General/ National Association of State Charity Officials (NAAG/NASCO) for six years as Secretary, Vice-President and President.
As an experienced litigator, Tracy represents our clients on matters such as responding to investigations and defending actions initiated by the various states’ charity and other government officials; organizational internal governance disputes; and breach of contract claims.
Tracy conducts legal audits and advises clients on general governance and regulatory compliance matters.
- Represented members of the American Psychoanalytic Association in a successful Article 78 proceeding against the Association (Ascherman v. American Psychoanalytic Assn., Inc.) to enforce the Association’s bylaws in novel dispute regarding certification standards. Cited as Decision of Interest in New York Law Journal, Vol. 250; No. 76.
- Obtained a summary judgment in the amount of $329,604.52 and pierced the corporate veil in favor of the United Service Organizations (USO) in a breach of contract action against Jet One Jets, Inc., Louis Ottimo and Anthony Attimo, Jr.
- Represented the Association of Research and Enlightenment of New York and several members in obtaining a judgment confirming the election defeat of the organization’s chair and enjoining him from any further acts as chair of the organization.
- Represented Wadsworth Avenue Baptist Church in obtaining an injunction against several individuals who were asserting themselves as the pastor, officers, trustees or members of the church.
- Obtained a dismissal of an action brought by the California Attorney General against Creative Direct Response in the matter of The People of the State of California vs. Help Hospitalized Veterans, et al.
Professional & Nonprofit Affiliations
Advisory Board of the College of Arts and Sciences, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Center against Domestic Violence, Brooklyn, NY Board Secretary
New York Junior League
New York Road Runners, Volunteer Leader
Widener University School of Law, J.D. cum laude
Shippensburg University, B.A.
US District Court, Middle District, Pennsylvania
US District Court for the Southern District, New York
Supreme Court of the United States