Jon Dartley founded and operated Involve, Inc., the web-application development and design firm that pioneered online peer-to-peer fundraising, list building and advocacy campaigns for nonprofits.
Involve was acquired by Kintera, Inc., a leading Cloud software provider to nonprofits. When Blackbaud acquired Kintera, Jon was named Senior Deputy General Counsel and Information Governance Chair.
In addition, Jon has more than fifteen years of experience representing nonprofit organizations in a wide variety of business matters and legal transactions. He has extensive knowledge in matters relating to privacy and big data, technology, outsourcing, software, intellectual property/licensing, internet-related transactions, general corporate matters and venture-related funding.
Jon’s legal services and counsel include:
- drafting and negotiating a wide-variety of technology, software and cloud-base related agreements
- privacy and cyber-security
- consulting / outsourcing agreements
- vendor and hardware procurement agreements
- content and software licenses
- website/hosting agreements
- international compliance issues
- Conducted a privacy audit for an organization with multiple national and international offices to identify and assess both online and offline data-gathering practices. Provided review of existing vendor agreements, cyber-security insurance policy, internal and website policies and procedures, advisement on means to enhance data security, and development of policies and procedures to ensure that all personally identifiable data was properly stored and protected.
- Advised a large national/international nonprofit in undertaking a large scale, multi-year transition from a server-based software solution to a Cloud-based solution. Work included negotiation of contract terms and conditions, hosting SLA’s, privacy and data-security issues, insurance, maintenance agreement and statements of work.
- Provided both legal and business advice and counsel to a venture-funded technology startup. Work included review of business plans, advisement related to equity/debt financing, drafting of consulting/advisor agreements, provision of stock plans and advisement on equity considerations, drafting of a wide variety of services, partnership and joint marketing agreements, and counsel regarding all IP issues.
Rutgers University, J.D.
Counseling Psychology, Columbia University, Ph.D.
Organizational Psychology, Columbia University, M.A.